Summer is grass seed season!
Roo is a 3 year old Border Collie who was brought to Cogges because he had suddenly started shaking his head. On examination vet Rachel found that he had a grass seed in his right ear. Because the seed was deep in the canal, and Roo was understandably uncomfortable, he was admitted to have the seed removed under sedation.
His sedation went smoothly and the seed was removed. Roo was given an injection of an anti-inflammatory painkiller and was home with his owner later that afternoon.
At this time of year we see several injuries each day to dogs, and sometimes cats, caused by grass seeds. Their arrow-like shape makes them perfectly designed for finding their way into the ears, between the toes, under eyelids, and into the skin.
Grass seed injuries usually cause intense irritation and discomfort to the affected area, and frequently become infected. If you notice your pet has a painful eye, ear or paw in particular, please call us for an appointment so we can check for grass seeds. The only prevention is to keep your pet away from long grass, which is not usually practical. Keeping the fur of the paws clipped short between the toes can help, and checking your pet over thoroughly after every walk may allow you to remove seeds before they become embedded.